Monday, November 30, 2015

Witches the Surprising Feminist

            Okay YES! I am so excited about this week. I love witches. I love films and stories and everything about witches. First off, I binge watched a ton of films that are about witches. That’s probably what I’m mostly going to talk about because that really where I freak out about witches, but I’m not going to completely stop there.
            I had a really hard time getting into the Aunt Maria story. I’m not sure why, but it was just really slow and kind of boring for my taste as far as reading goes. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for it. I’m not sure, but I started reading the Thessaly Witch For Hire comic instead. Those were really silly. I actually haven’t read a comic in a long time and really enjoyed it. I think witches always have a powerful symbolism for women with power.
            This comic definitely went along with that. She’s constantly pushing men off from her and isn’t interested in being sexually desired. She’s independent, she’s sexy but smart, she’s taking care of business and in charge. I think its actually very positive and forward thinking for the modern woman. This comes across in most films I watched as well.

            In Practical Magic (1998), these women just own the screen. They even go as far in the story as saying their family is cursed and only really able to use men for breeding and then they die tragically. It’s pretty great that a man is what breaks the curse as well. In The Witches of Eastwick (1987) these women are literally the coolest and badest bitches before that was even a thing. I’m sorry but I can’t help but drool over every aspect of Susan Sarandon, Cher and Michelle Pfeiffer destroying the playboy that is Jack Nicholson. These women are strongly positive role models for witches symbolizing a confident, strong modern woman. I highly recommend watching both films if you’ve never seen them.

No comments:

Post a Comment