Sunday, November 29, 2015

Hitchhiking the Galaxy


            This week I really tried to do a piece of each thing if I wasn’t able to do all. I surprisingly found myself getting really into all three things. I watched two films, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (2005), TiMER (2009) and read some of the Radio Show version of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy as well. All three were really fun and a great way to end the semester.
            I didn’t finish the radio show, because it was a lot to read, but from what I did read it was really interesting. The thing that stuck out to me the most was the writing style. I don’t think I’ve read anything else like this. It reads like someone is literally speaking out these thoughts onto a page, so maybe that’s because its being acted out for the radio, but it also doesn’t feel like a film. It’s different. I liked the story too, because it was different than the film. I’m more familiar with the film, but the story started differently with a more in depth explanation about the world building. This helped me a lot with how crazy the writing and pacing is. I needed that explanation. It continues to do that throughout, which is brilliant.

I didn’t realize I had seen both films before. I saw Hitchhiker when it came out and I loved that film. The quirky robot, the British humor, was really up my alley for a wonky comedy. When I watched TiMER, it was on a whim the first time. This time around, I remembered the story and basically had the same feelings about it that I did before. I thought the film was okay, but overall I don’t think it was extremely well done. I like certain elements of the story and how clever it was, but I thought the plot dropped out a lot at the end and it didn’t feel complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment