Monday, November 9, 2015

Bloodchild

1. Are there any prominent symbols in the story?

Yes, the story symbolizes a classiest system in which the worms are controlling the people. They live caged in a society where they are used as hosts for the "greater race". Seeing them fed by these eggs, which are like a drug to promise health and youth is difficult to follow at first, but then as the rebellious brother and the main protagonist Gan starts to break away from T'Gatoi, I start to really see everything unravel and how corrupt the system is.

2. What connections did you make with the story?

The connection I made with the story is based around how there's this separation of the classes. I still think this does exist today within our society. Obviously I'm a middle class white girl who's born with privilege and I acknowledge that and have since learned to educate myself on the truth that our society here in the States is still divided. Gan is relatable, because she's not sure what to believe in and she's pulled in many directions to make tough decisions. I think her brother symbolizes what a lot of my friends and I myself try to represent which is a look in the face of truth and honesty. He see's whats real and tries to make others aware. This makes him a threat to that world. People are scared to hear the truth. It still needs to be said.

3. What changes would you make to adopt the story into another medium?

If I was to make this into a film, it would be difficult for us to show that creatures like T'Gatoi exist and aren't threatening at first. It would have to be changed so people can grow to learn the creatures are evil. They would probably have to look human and transform. It's just how sic-fi and horror has to exist in film. We're raised on things like Alien, so monsters are monsters. It's easier to trust a human on screen, even though they can be the biggest threat, especially when they're a host. I would make a creature more like something like The Faculty.

No comments:

Post a Comment