Monday, November 30, 2015

Cyberpunk and Steampunks

            I read an interesting short story/ article called Cyberpunk in the 90s. It stood out to me, because if I’m totally honest I was a huge cyberpunk fan during the 90s and I still am. I actually think its come back around to being a thing again, which is great as well as steampunk. I’m getting to that age I guess when trends are starting to repeat themselves.
            I remember being obsessed with trying to rent this film called Tank Girl when I was in my very early teens. It was the cover that drew me in. Here’s this strange looking woman staring at everyone right off the cover. I’m not going to say the movie was great, but it was very strange and I did enjoy it. Other films from that time also stand out in my mind that I think go really well with the article.
            Hackers is definitely a cyberpunk film that I think has come back again to a completely random cult following. I mean this was when Angelina Jolie was experimenting on every level and we all loved it. Thinking about this and reading through about what this author says about cyberpunks and steampunks being in this almost niche society they’ve created on their own is really cool. It’s something I wanted to belong to and definitely still do. I think that’s what makes it so cool.

            Seeing that come back especially in the newest Mad Max film definitely confirmed for me that steampunk is still well loved. I don’t think you could count all the Furiosa’s at Halloween this year. Isn’t that the popularity test? How many you see out. I admit I thought about breaking out the goggles and painting my mouth chrome. Steampunks and cyberpunks started being weird and then cool in the 90s and now its back and I think that’s awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment